Forum

Segmentation fault from vhost misconfig

Aditya Jain
20 October 2012, 19:00
Hello

I was using Hiawatha for file server being served from a virtual host. I wrongly left out
the variables for default log and error log unconfigured. I did not include those variables in the configuration of vhost. The server daemon started. When ever someone visited the site , first request was replied with connection reset. And next request lead to segmentation fault and hiawatha crashed. Configuring those variables worked fine. But in case of such misconf, IMHO it should use the logs of default website or atleast,
give a pointer while restarting the daemon.

Hiawatha version: Hiawatha 8.3, 8.4 ,8.5
Operating System: Debian 6.0.5

Regards
Aditya Jain
Hugo Leisink
20 October 2012, 21:00
When the AccessLogfile an ErrorLogfile settings are not used, default values are being used. I have a lot of virtual hosts without those settings. It works fine. I'll take a look at it tomorrow and let you know.

In the meantime, you can help me by following these instructions.
Aditya Jain
21 October 2012, 04:11
Hello

I had the configuration in am included file . I'll post the config files in a couple of hours. currently I am away.I'll follow your instructions an report.

Regards
Aditya Jain
Aditya Jain
21 October 2012, 06:04
Sorry for typo in the last post, I recompiled hiawatha without striping,
and also upgraded the packages which also upgraded libxslt1.1 .
I reverted back to previous config , but it is woking fine, this I tested in
3 different servers and it is working.

I am now unable to reproduce the crash but, the segmentation fault error msg
is still there in the logs which is bothering me. I have also tried to change
different config variables but, it is still working.

Please let me know if I can provide some more info or do some tests on my server.

Regards
Hugo Leisink
21 October 2012, 13:11
It is very well possible that Hiawatha crashed due to an error in a library. In that case, it's not really Hiawatha crashing, but the library, which I can't fix.

I already found it strange that Hiawatha crashed because of a missing logfile setting. Because that setting is there since the beginning of Hiawatha. My advice is, forget the crash and just start using Hiawatha. If you ever expercience a crash again, please follow the 'handle a crash' instructions at the link I gave you.
Aditya Jain
21 October 2012, 17:26
Thankyou for your generous support, I already use hiawatha all the time
and exclusively at all places.

I'll definitely follow the instructions in the link if I face a crash.

Thanks again !
This topic has been closed.