Forum

Hostname and "nicknames" for Virtual Host

drentsoft
17 March 2014, 01:01
Hi all,

I finally got round to installing Hiawatha on my Raspberry Pi (I tried a while back using the old website but couldn't get it working for some reason). I'm trying to compare it to Cherokee (which I currently have running on port 80, Hiawatha is on Port 8003). I like Cherokee but find the admin console (the only supported way to change config) to be very slow, especially on the Raspberry Pi so I'm looking to compare Hiawatha for speed and ease of use.

I have a few questions if you'd indulge me.

In Cherokee you can create a virtual host that matches a hostname like: projectx.x but then you can add nicknames so multiple hostnames can match the same host. For example:
hostname: projectx.x
nickname: projectx.dev (for local network access). Looking at the example config file do I do this by doing:
"Hostname = projectx.x, projectx.dev"?

In Cherokee you can also specify HTTP error/drop connection/static content rules on specific directories within a virtual host (along with a special Server-info page - not necessary, just would be nice), are there equivalent rules for the Hiawatha config file?

With Cherokee I have /cgi-bin setup and seemingly can run any CGI-able file from within there (including C++ programs etc). In Hiawatha am I limited to just the CGI handlers specified in the conf file?

Finally in Cherokee you can add a directory rule for example /phpmyadmin that can point to a completely different webroot (/usr/share/phpmyadmin) per Virtual host. I see in the config file that there is a Directory {

}
segment but I assume that's global to the server, no?

Thanks in advance,

Drent

Hiawatha version: 9.3.1
Operating System: Raspbian (Debian Squeeze)
samiux
17 March 2014, 20:28
It is very hard to tell you about Hiawatha in a few words or sentances. I think you can refer to this link [secure-ubuntu-server.blogspot.com] about how to set up a Hiathawa web server on Ubuntu.

Samiux
Hugo Leisink
17 March 2014, 22:40
1: Yes, you can use multiple comma-separated hostnames.
2: I don't know what you mean by 'HTTP error/drop connection/static content rules'.
3: Hiawatha doesn't use cgi-bin. Executables should be specified by their extension. Take a look at the NoExtensionAs option to handle executables without extension.
4: Take a look at the Alias option.
Drentsoft
19 March 2014, 00:03
Thanks Samiux, that article is pretty useful

Thanks Hugo.

Basically HTTP error and drop connection are rules that you can set on a file/directory within Cherokee so that it'll automatically serve a 404/405/500 etc error OR just instantly drops the connection if someone tries to access it. The static content rule basically bypasses any more advanced server functionality and serves up a requested file/folder.

I'll check out creating aliases. Thanks again. I think Hiawatha might just become my new default server
This topic has been closed.