Forum

websocket integration

Horst
16 April 2014, 08:46
Hi,

I am struggeling to understand the implications of using "websockets".

Are these websockets supposed to be handled by an application server completely separate from the webserver or are they supposed to be integrated into the webserver?
(As far as I can see some webservers like Apache offer support for websockets while hiawatha currently does not support them)

How would I go about to achieve integration of hiawatha with websockets (would that be some cgi scripts or some kind of proxy "in front of" hiawatha)?

As you might guess from my questions I am still kind of newby to web development.

Hiawatha version: 9.4
Operating System: linux
Hugo Leisink
19 April 2014, 22:38
I also don't know all the technical details about websockets. But since there is very little interest in it, I don't have any plans to implement them any soon.
Horst
21 April 2014, 15:38
I am coming more from the desktop application development and trying to figure how to achieve similar results with webbased applications. The application I have on my mind would be lots of measurement data dynamically changing, displayed either as text in tables or e.G. as scales inside otherwise static graphics. When I scanned the web on how to solve such requirements I got the impression of a strong trend towards websockets (may be that impression came from my way of searching ). The connection oriented stateful und duplex operation of websockets does certainly feel like a more natural solution for above mentioned requirements to me than what I read about concepts like "long polling".
This topic has been closed.