Forum

Performance Versus Nginx

Pone
14 December 2015, 22:37
How does Hiawatha compare for performance and memory utilization versus Nginx, particularly under Windows? Nginx uses an asynchronous architecture, so it has a very stable memory footprint as the load grows. This would correspond to not constantly spawning processes or new threads, and instead re-using a worker pool of threads and associated memory.
Hugo Leisink
15 December 2015, 08:19
Under Windows? I don't know. Hiawatha was not designed for Windows. The reason that a Windows package is available, is because it was easy to build one with Cygwin. But, I don't advice to use it for a production environment, because I never tested it well and Windows as some strange behaviour with Cygwin. I advice to use it for hobby purposes only. However, several people used it for production nonetheless and reported that it works just fine.
Pone
15 December 2015, 23:44
Thank you for that advice. So which OS would you recommend for production if we wanted an environment that:

1) Had decent GUI tools for administration

2) Could be made secure right out of the box without a lot of configuration?

We have deep Windows admin experience not UNIX unfortunately. I can put Hiawatha behind a firewall so the ports on the OS will all be closed except for HTTP and HTTPS, but unlikely we will know enough about UNIX to lock down the OS properly.
Pone
16 December 2015, 02:47
Is there any chance you could point me to people using Hiawatha with high load under Windows OS? Maybe point to the web site and I could contact them through forms there?
Hugo Leisink
16 December 2015, 08:14
The best OS for Hiawatha is still UNIX, as it was designed for it. There is no administration GUI for it, but I'm sure that with a little reading of the HOWTO pages, you will be able to configure Hiawatha (both UNIX and Windows).

I don't have any contact information about people using Hiawatha on the Windows platform.
David Oliver
16 December 2015, 15:49
You might find this guide [www.linode.com] helpful.[/url] It's only long because it includes instructions for different Linux distributions.
This topic has been closed.