Forum

Server crashes with 14-character file name

Luc
19 July 2009, 05:06
I created a .hiawatha file in a directory:

ShowIndex = no
StartFile = index.cgi

The index.cgi file is empty so far, it just prints the HTML headers. Server works fine.

For some whatever reason, I changed it:

StartFile = index-temp.cgi

Two refreshes on the page crash the server instantly. It doesn't matter whether the file exists or not. I thought it could be the hyphen, but it isn't. It's the length of the file name:

StartFile = index-temp.cgi (14 chars) -> CRASH

StartFile = indextempx.cgi (14 chars) -> CRASH

StartFile = index-temp.gi (13 chars) -> NO CRASH

StartFile = indextemp.cgi (13 chars) -> NO CRASH

StartFile = 123456789.cgi (13 chars) -> NO CRASH

StartFile = 1234567890.cgi (14 chars) -> CRASH

Anything above 13 characters crashes Hiawatha in all my tests.

Hiawatha version: v6.15
Operating System: Linux
Hugo Leisink
19 July 2009, 10:44
I tried to reproduce the problem, but I couldn't make Hiawatha crash here. Can you please follow these instructions for me?
Luc
19 July 2009, 12:22
That procedure isn't working for me.

I recompiled Hiawatha with ./configure && make and ran it with Valgrind right from its build directory. I ran the two tests (for the two bugs) and it didn't crash.

I shut it down and ran the tests again with the old build. It crashed on both counts. Just to make sure the old one still crashed.

So I renamed /usr/sbin/hiawatha to something else and copied the new, fatter (556 Kb) hiawatha to /usr/sbin/. Ran the tests and it crashed! It didn't crash when I ran it with Valgrind, but crashed without Valgrind. So I ran it with Valgrind again, except this time from /usr/sbin/ instead of the build directory. It didn't crash.

Summing up, it won't crash when I run it with Valgrind.

Gotta go sleep now, I'll get your new instructions when I get back.
Hugo Leisink
19 July 2009, 13:15
I assume this crash has something to do with the crash mentioned in your other topic. I suggest we stop this thread and continue in the other one. Otherwise we both keep op posting every message twice
Luc
19 July 2009, 20:33
Deal.
This topic has been closed.