Forum

Error compiling v10.5 under x86_64 Ubuntu 15.10

JamieJackHerer
11 March 2017, 04:56
I have successfully compiled this version under x86 Linux Mint but I am now on a VPS and when I try to compile Hiawatha I get the following error:

[ 81%] Linking C executable hiawatha
/usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/hiawatha.dir/src/log.c.o: undefined reference to symbol 'gzdopen'
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line

I have been googleing for the past several hours without results, Please help as I need my website back up and running asap many thanks in advance
Hugo Leisink
11 March 2017, 13:38
Is the zlib1g-dev package installed?
jamiejackherer
12 March 2017, 01:56
hey Hugo, yes it is :
# dpkg -l | grep -i zlib
ii zlib1g:amd64 1:1.2.8.dfsg-2ubuntu4 amd64 compression library - runtime
ii zlib1g-dev:amd64 1:1.2.8.dfsg-2ubuntu4 amd64 compression library - development
ii zlibc 0.9k-4.2 amd64 An on-fly auto-uncompressing C library

Hugo Leisink
15 March 2017, 00:39
Weird... What if you try to build as a package?
./extra/make_debian_package
jamiejackherer
15 March 2017, 10:54
Hey Hugo, even weirder... it works.. !
only 2 errors but I think they are only minor?
dpkg-gencontrol: warning: Depends field of package hiawatha: unknown substitution variable ${shlibs:Depends}
dpkg-gencontrol: warning: File::FcntlLock not available; using flock which is not NFS-safe

Thanks Hugo
Hugo Leisink
15 March 2017, 10:58
Could it be something is wrong with your system? Did you install stuff from the Testing repository?
jamiejackherer
15 March 2017, 19:32
TBH Hugo it could be, I'm running on a VPS and it seems very much like a custom build of Ubuntu 15.10 x86_64. I have managed to get Hiawatha to install (in a custom location) by building a .deb package and I have configured everything properly, but Hiawatha just refuses to start:

Starting...
error!

There are no error logs at all! Although when checking systemctl with:
systemctl status hiawatha.service -l

it shows:
wigwam[5872]: hiawatha.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/sbin/wigwam: No such file or directory

but wigwam is in
~/server.conf/hiawatha10.5/sbin
!

All repos in my sources lists are original and unchanged (no testing repos or unstable repos).
There seem to be a lot of packages set to manually installed which leads me to think the system is very customized.
Hugo Leisink
15 March 2017, 20:11
Try building your own package. Run the script extra/make_debian_package and follow the instructions on screen. Install the package it creates.
jamiejackherer
17 March 2017, 02:50
Thats what I did and it would not start as I stated before (maybe I should have said I built and installed the debian package with extra/make_debian_package. I have managed a little hack to get the VPS to upgrade to 16.04 so will try on the new version before reporting back.
This topic has been closed.