Forum

Reload cache bug?

Odd-Jarle
30 September 2010, 17:43
I have a few sites running the gallery2 photo album software (gallery.menalto.com).

Been doing some tests to see if all sites will work correctly with Hiawatha before I migrate everything over, and I think I ran into a bug.

Reloading any page on a gallery site will cause images to disappear every 2nd time (ie. first load works, reload no images, reload again images ok, reload no images).

In an attempt to figure out what was causing this I have installed a fresh site with the latest gallery software. I also have checked all php settings. Switching the same site over to Apache instead of Hiawatha makes everything work. So I am pretty confident it is not a php issue. Neither does it seem to be a browser issue (unless they all have the same problem). I've tried Safari, Firefox and Opera with same results.

No errors logged in Hiawathas logs either.

Hiawatha version: 7.3
Operating System: FreeBSD 8.1-release
PHP: 5.3.3 w/Suhosin patch and Zend engine 2.3.0
Hugo Leisink
1 October 2010, 18:32
In almost all cases when something works fine with Apache, but not with another webserver, the cause is in the application. The application probably uses some Apache-only feature. Despite what many people think, Apache doesn't follow all standards. It always makes me laugh how open source advocates blaim Microsoft for turning open standards into Microsoft standards and than use Apache as a nice how-it-should-be-done open source example.

I've take a quick look at the gallery application. It looks like there is a bug in the caching system that fails to load the stylesheets correctly. This is not a bug in Hiawatha, not in PHP, but in the gallery application.
Odd-Jarle
2 October 2010, 09:28
Thanks, I suspected that much. But it is good to have a second opinion on the case. I won't worry too much about this since it does work most the time. I might dig into the code a bit and see if I can tweak it at a later time.

I haven't been too fond of Apache for a while, and I am glad I found a great alternative here. I will sleep better at night knowing things are more standards compliant and safer. Great piece of software you have developed here. And so easy to set up.
This topic has been closed.